- This event has passed.
2020 Golf Classic Tournament
September 26, 2020 @ 7:00 am - 4:00 pm CDT$5.00 – $120.00
This annual golf scramble is an opportunity to generate community support for Southern Word, a local non-profit organization offering innovative solutions for youth development. Through performance poetry, youth build literacy and communication skills, reconnect to their education and their lives, and act as leaders in the improvement of their communities.
In light of the COVID pandemic, the closure at Shelby Golf Course, and to maximize safety, this year’s tournament will have these unique twists:
1. Teams will be permitted to play on any par 70 to 72 golf course, at any time of day, anywhere around the world, on Saturday, September 26.
2. Teams will connect at certain key moments of their round through zoom video conferencing which will be streamed on Facebook.
3. Teams in Nashville who want to compete on the same course will be given tee times throughout the day on the Ted Rhodes golf course on a first-come, first-serve basis with historic Southern Word Classic top finishers and out-of-town teams given preference.
4. We will also have tee times available on Two Rivers golf course in Nashville for those who register in advance.
5. All teams will pay for their own cart and greens fees in addition to the $30 registration fee which will serve as a donation to Southern Word.
6. There will be a mulligan package available at the time of registration for $5 per mulligan or $20 for the mulligan package (Throw, Mulligan, Red Tee, & Extra Putt).
7. There will be prizes for:
-1st place and 2nd place at Ted Rhodes Golf Course
-1st place and 2nd place globally
-Longest drive globally
-Closest to the pin globally
-Best Happy Gilmore tee shot globally
-Best/worst outfit globally
8. For documentation and general enjoyment, we will ask teams to video conference in for:
-Closest to the pin on the first par 3 on the back 9
-Longest drive on the fourth par 4 on the course
-A four line poem inspired by the work of another poet golfer
-Each “throw-your-ball” mulligan
-Each Happy Gilmore tee shot
9. All golfers must utilize a Happy Gilmore tee shot on the 2nd par four on the back nine.
10. Golfers play with an understanding of the risks of COVID-19 and an understanding that Southern Word cannot control spread of the virus. Please review R&A COVID-19 updated guidance on the rules of golf for safety tips.