Over the past thirteen years, Southern Word has developed leading young writers and music producers through its in-school and out-of-school programs. Through our Youth Fellows and Opportunity NOW programs, we have been preparing youth to lead non-profit organizations in addition to helping them develop and present their art. The Echo Squad is an extension of the Youth Fellows and Opportunity NOW programs.
The Echo Squad will serve as part of a youth team that guides, plans, markets, and executes Southern Word’s key workshops and events. The team will both participate in these functional activities as well as train to build their skills through a range of workshops and developmental sessions. These sessions will develop their skill sets and expose them to the administrative, fundraising, program, artistic, production, and promotional aspects of Southern Word. These work days will be complemented by showcases, workshops, activities, and events where youth will apply and demonstrate their learning. Youth are expected to make a commitment to the program for the duration of the semester.
Topics covered within sessions:
- Event production and marketing
- Artist development – writing, music production, and performance
- Arts, education and mental health
- Program administration
- Building and facilitating a workshop
- Marketing, communications, and fundraising
- Accounting and finance
- Capstone project and event
- Attend either a music production or writing workshop for 20 sessions over the course of the semester.
- Attend 20 planning and/or training sessions over the course of the semester.
- Attend and support 6 events planned between November and May.
- Collaborate with fellows and staff to guide, plan, market, and execute programs and events.
- Collaborate with fellows and staff to execute Southern Word programs and events related to learning.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
- Self-motivated worker who is able to lead by example.
- Ability to complete tasks responsibly and follow through on commitments.
- Ability to lead, encourage, and coach youth who are close in age.
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to collaborate with a diverse team.
- Comfortable with change and ability to adapt in an uncertain environment.
November 03, 2021 – May 18, 2022
20 workshop sessions
20 planning/training sessions
6 event sessions
Any Middle Tennessee youth interested, age 15 through 22 attending high school or college, should complete the application below.
REGISTER TO PARTICIPATE
About Southern Word
Through the literary and performing arts, Southern Word offers creative solutions for youth to build literacy and presentation skills, reconnect to their education and to their lives, and act as leaders in the improvement of their communities. We are absolutely committed to providing youth, especially in underserved communities, with as many opportunities as possible to develop and publicly present their voices both live and in print, video, audio, and digital media.